26 April 2010

the devastating average

i don't know when my ego will recover from the crushing blow it was dealt today, but it's really got the rest of me in a serious bout of self doubt...

turns out i'm FS-average.

this google doc went around to the foreign service yahoo group, asking us to input our FSOT scores so's to compare. and whilst i already knew i'd passed by the hair of my chinny chin chin, today i was knocked completely off my pedastal when i discovered that my scores were "average".

average.

to a rational person, average might translate to good. i mean, half the people who took the test received lower scores than me, and only half did better (in a test with a 30% passage rate, no less). and even if it's the average of the best and brightest, it's the "average" that burns my poor little ego, a poor little ego that's spent most of its life being much closer to "exceptional".

the good news for me, i hope, is that once i get a handle on my ego (it is definitely in charge today), the humility will do us both a fair bit of good going into the OA. if we even get that far...

~k (and her ego)

1 comment:

  1. I think you and your ego also have to think about who is actually taking this test. It's not like you're up against regular schmucks on the street. My guess is 99% of these people are used to being exceptional in their everyday life, too. So if you consider you're in the middle of this group of top-notch people, then you're still totally awesome and WAY WAY above average in the grand scheme of the world. And in my book, of course.

    ReplyDelete